The J&C magnet sponsors two clubs that benefit students inside and outside the magnet: J-Club and Quill and Scroll International Honor Society.
All Manual students grades 9-12 are welcome to join J-Club, regardless of previous experience in J&C or magnet affiliation. The benefits include:
- Club membership in a J&C publication. Both yearbook and newspaper accept J-Club members as after school participants on Wednesdays. Club members might help interview, write articles, take photos, or design pages. All “clubbers,” as they are known, are directed and organized by the staff members themselves. It is a great way to see if a publication is right for you. Clubbers often go on to fill staff positions the next year.
- Participation in the mentor/mentee program if a J&C freshman (mentee) or J&C senior (mentor), including mentor/mentee special events as planned by the J-Club officers.
- Eligibility to run for president, vice president, or secretary.
Quill and Scroll International Honor Society
Founded in 1926 in Iowa, Quill and Scroll’s purpose is to encourage and recognize individual student achievement in journalism and academics. Members do not pay annual dues, but must pay a one time initiation fee of $20, good until graduation. The fee goes directly to the national organization. (Please see Ms. Palmer if you wish to join but you are unable to pay the initiation fee.)
Benefits of joining Q&S are as follows:
- Recognition at the J&C Showcase in May
- Honor cords (blue and yellow) to wear at Manual’s graduation
- Competitions that only Q&S members may enter
- Official membership pin (can be personalized to show staff position)
- Official membership certificate
- One year subscription to Quill & Scroll magazine (can be renewed)
Manual Quill and Scroll candidates must apply by the day the first progress reports of the year are distributed. To apply they must meet these eligibility requirements:
- They must be of sophomore, junior or senior classification.
- They must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative total of all high school work when applying for membership.
- They must have done superior work as staffers of any J&C publication.
- They must be recommended by a staff adviser.
- They must be approved by the Quill and Scroll National Executive Director.